The Special Coagulation Laboratory provides comprehensive diagnostic testing and consultative services for physicians caring for patients with bleeding and clotting disorders and provides evaluation of abnormal coagulation tests. The laboratory performs routine and specialized coagulation testing for over 30 regional laboratories and hospitals, while also accommodating requests from laboratories nationwide. Each of the three faculty members is board certified in Internal Medicine and Hematology. Faculty members conduct federally and privately funded programs in basic and applied research and oversee an NIH-training program for pre-doctoral and post-doctoral MDs and PhDs in hemostasis and thrombosis. The laboratory also provides support for clinical trials. Emergency evaluations and clinical consultations are available 24/7 with hematology and coagulation staff approval.
• Patient-specific targeted laboratory evaluations for bleeding disorders, hypercoagulable states, and prolonged clotting times
• Comprehensive evaluations for von Willebrand disease and anti-phospholipid syndrome
• Platelet function assays
• ELISA and serotonin release assays for heparin-induced thrombocytopenia
• Integrated report analysis and clinical consultations
• Monitoring/measurement of anticoagulants, including the direct oral anticoagulants