Anatomic Pathology Consult Services
Penn Subspecialty Second Opinion Service
Cases for which patients or physicians desire a second opinion or expert consultation can be reviewed by a team of Penn Medicine pathology specialists. The Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine offers its Second Opinion Service (SOS) for the full spectrum of Anatomic Pathology subspecialties.
Why Penn Pathology?
- Efficient turnaround time, 24 hours in most cases
- Subspecialty expertise
- Designated accessioner and system
- Individual fellows or faculty members as case managers
- Frequent same-day review
- Account billing
- Multi-disciplinary Daily Consensus Conference
How It Works
- Efficiency: Cases have their own accession code, specific forms and uniform charge.
- Provide individualized service: Consult cases will be accessioned into our computer system and the sender will receive a communication that the case was received.
- Reliable communications: Cases reviewed by a fellow with the specific faculty person on that subspecialty service.
- Fast results: If uncomplicated, a diagnosis will be rendered and communicated back to the sender immediately afterward; utmost efforts will be exerted to strive for a 24 hour turnaround time whenever possible.
- Full personalized workup: Cases that require additional studies will be reported out in a timely fashion.
- Outstanding team of pathologists
- Extensive Immunohistochemistry panel
- Molecular testing from paraffin blocks
- Immunofluorescence for skin, renal, lung and cardiac
- Development lab for new marker analysis
- Electron microscopy if needed
- Multilingual subspecialists (second opinions can be provided in Spanish, Chinese, and German)
Setting up an Account
A specific client account is set up to facilitate billing. Charges would be as a set fee for an uncomplicated case. Those wishing to send Personal Consults to any specific faculty member should do so through the usual route addressed to that individual faculty member. Locate a particular subspecialist by using the "Find a Specialist" function below.