Transfusion Medicine and Therapeutic Pathology
The Division of Transfusion Medicine and Therapeutic Pathology, serving as the therapeutic arm of the Department of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine, comprises the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania (HUP) blood bank and transfusion service, an immunohematology reference laboratory, an apheresis/infusion unit, a full whole blood and plateletpheresis collection program, a hematopoietic progenitor collection and processing laboratory, and a clinical cell and vaccine production facility. Its very active clinical services provide over 60,000 units of blood and blood products per year to HUP patients through the blood bank and transfusion service, while capable of performing 10,000 procedures per year in the apheresis/infusion unit on outpatients and inpatients diagnosed with a variety of hematopoietic, immunologic, oncologic, and genetic disorders.
The Division consists of nine faculty members who provide medical oversight and consultation for these clinical activities throughout the University of Pennsylvania Health System (UPHS), and facilitate numerous interdepartmental clinical trials and translational research efforts. Each faculty member has his/her particular area of academic interest and receives support through funding from the National Institutes of Health (NIH), private industry, and non-profit foundations.
The Penn Medicine Blood Donation Center provides the Penn community and visitors with a convenient means to donate blood. Blood that is donated at Penn is used for the care of patients at the Hospital of the University of Pennsylvania and serves to ensure a continuous, uninterrupted supply of blood.
• provide comprehensive transfusion medicine physician consultative services 24/7
• provide state-of the-art therapeutic apheresis procedures, including LDL-apheresis
• perform novel hematopoietic stem cell collection and cell processing/expansion procedures, including those for hematopoietic cell reconstitution and adoptive immunotherapy
• infuse the latest in biologics, including humanized monoclonal antibodies and other recombinant proteins
• serve as an interface for patients enrolled in numerous clinical trials and their sponsoring UPHS clinical investigators, institutes, and centers
Don L. Siegel, MD, PhD, Director
Nicole Aqui, MD
Carl June, MD
Taku Kambayashi, MD, PhD
Bruce Levine, PhD
Una O’Doherty, MD, PhD
Daniel Powell, PhD
James Wilson, MD, PhD
Sandra Nance, MS, MT (ASCP) SBB
Senior Director, Immunohematology Reference Laboratory (IRL), Penn-Jersey Region, American Red Cross Blood Services
Constance M. Westhoff, PhD
Director of Immunohematology, Genomics, and Rare Blood, New York Blood Center